Estate planning on your own can be complicated and costly. And the list is endless… state taxes, bureaucracy, probate courts, unfair appraisals, health care concerns, eligibility of heirs, life insurance, IRA’s, 401K’s, annuities, burial or cremation costs, and intent regarding death-postponing treatment to name a few. Not knowing your legal and financial rights often ends up costing you more in the end.
Estate planning – Is making a plan in advance and naming whom you want to receive your material possessions you own after you die. However, good estate planning is much more than that. It may also include
• Instructions for passing your values (religion, education, hard work, etc.) in addition to your valuables.
• Instructions for your care if you become disabled before you die.
• Designate a guardian and an inheritance manager for minor children.
• Provide for family members with special needs without disrupting government benefits.
• Provide for loved ones who might be irresponsible with money or who may need future protection from creditors or divorce.
• Include life insurance to provide for your family at your death, disability income insurance to replace your income if you cannot work due to illness or injury, and long-term care insurance to help pay for your care in case of an extended illness or injury.
• Provide for the transfer of your business at your retirement, disability, or death.
• Minimize taxes, court costs, and unnecessary legal fees.
Every Estate planning is different. It is an ongoing process tailored to individuals based on their unique situation. It is not a one-time event and your plan should be reviewed and updated as your family and financial situations (and laws) change over your lifetime.
The hassles and red tape associated with estate planning can be daunting, but you don’t need to do it alone. Our team at Prime CPAS is waiting to assist you through every step of the process. If you would like to get more information about our estate planning services, complete the form below to setup a free consultation